Is the PS4 controller yellow light bothering you while playing? Well then, you’re not alone. Turns out, a lot of PS4 users have been dealing with the PS4 controller yellow light issue. If you want to get rid of the PS4 controller yellow light problem, you need to read everything mentioned here.
PS4 is touted to be the best gaming console to be developed by Sony. Every day, millions play their favourite games on it using the controller. But it’s the PS4 controller yellow light that often proves to be an irritant and also a source of distraction for players.
Here’s the thing though. The PS4 console gives off plenty of colours, each indicating something. The PS4 controller yellow light however, means that your console has hardware or firmware issue.
That means you need to get it fixed right away. Not to worry here too since the steps to fix the PS4 controller yellow light are very simple. Keep reading to know more.
PS4 Controller Yellow Light problem
You cannot play the PS4 games without a controller. The controller you use while playing various games emits different kinds of lights. For example, if you’re playing Grand Theft Auto, you see the following lights:
- Blue Light indicating Michael Da Santa
- Yellow Light indicating Trevor Phillips
- Green Light indicating Franklin Clinton
Additionally, there are Red and Orange that indicate something else. But if there are too many bugs on your console, you’ll see the PS4 controller yellow light. Here’s why it happens:
- Failure of hardware with dual shock 4 controller.
- Connecting the controller to some other devices.
- USB cable for charging is damaged.
- PS button malfunctioning
- Problems with the firmware
You can employ the following methods of troubleshooting in order to fix the PS4 controller yellow light.
Restarting the PS4
The most basic trick that you can employ is to restart your PS4 console. More often than not, rebooting has proven to be a perfect solution for most issues. The steps to follow are listed below.
- Press the PS button for long.
- Choose the Power option.
- Choose the option that says Restart PS4 and reboot your console.
- Now check if you’re still having to face the PS4 Controller Yellow Light or not.
Examining the USB Port and Charging Cable
In case if you’ve been using your USB cable in a rough manner, it might be partially or fully damaged. In such a situation, the PS4 controller yellow light is inevitable.
The first thing you do is check your charging cable. If it’s not in a good condition, get a new one really quick. Plug this new cable into your console and if the PS4 controller yellow light is still there or not.
Other ways of fixing the PS4 controller yellow light
In case the above troubleshooting methods didn’t work out, here are a few more methods that can help you out.
Removing the Bluetooth connection from the controller
If your PS4 controller isn’t working, you need to remove the console from it. Also, check if the controller is connected to a Bluetooth device such as an iPad. If yes, then disconnect that too. Once you do that, install the PS4 Remote Play from Play Store.
Using this, you will be able to control the console via your device. This includes unplugging the controller from all kinds of Bluetooth devices. It is also better for power usage.
Pressing PS button continuously
Many times, the PS4 issues can be resolved if you press the PS button continuously. Let’s see if the PS4 controller yellow light issue can be fixed using the following steps.
- Shut down the PS4 completely.
- Plug in the Dual Shock 4 Controller in your console using the USB charging cable.
- Switch on the video game console.
- On your screen you’ll see the message “Press the PS button to use the Controller”.
- Press the power button for long or until you hear a beep for the second time.
- Once again, switch off your console.
- Once again, switch on your console.
- You’ll again see the message “Press the PS Button to use the Controller”.
- Remove the Dual Shock 4 Controller’s Cable from the USB port.
- Connect the USB Cable to the port and press the PS button continuously.
- You’ll see a blue light flashing on the controller. The issue has been fixed.
Resetting the PS4 Controller
You can try this method to fix the PS4 controller yellow light issue as well.
- Go to the console’s back-side and check the Reset button.
- It is located near the L2 Shoulder button.
- Use a very thin needle to press this button. You can also use your SIM card ejector.
- Press and hold for not less than 10 seconds.
- Once you have reset, connect the controller and the console using the charging cable.
- Lastly, press the PS button and switch on your controller.
- Check if the PS4 controller yellow light issue is still bothering you or not.
If the issue is still not resolved, proceed to the next step.
Resetting the PS4 Console
If you reset the PS4 console it will fix many issues but at the same remove your games and apps that you’ve stored as well. This method is usually applicable when all other methods have failed to fix the PS4 controller yellow light. Here are the steps to follow for resetting the PS4 console:
- Switch off the PS4 Console completely.
- Unplug all power cables from it.
- Keep the PS4 idle for a minimum of five minutes.
- Connect the Power Cord to your PS4 again.
- Press the Power Button for long or at least ten seconds.
- When you hear the beep sound for the second time, release it.
- Connect the charging cable from one end to your console and the other end to your PS4 Controller.
- Press the X button to choose the option that says Initialize PS4.
Once you do this, the PS4 controller yellow light will be fixed completely. Before you proceed with this step, however, make sure you have a backup for all your games and other data that you’ve saved in the console. You can save them in your Cloud storage devices or even on external hard disks.
Please note, this step is irreversible and would cause data loss. Make sure you have created a backup of your device before resetting it.
Starting the PS4 in safe mode
One last method of fixing the PS4 controller yellow light is by restarting the PS4 console in the Safe Mode. The steps to follow for starting the gaming console in the Safe Mode are as follows:
- Shut down the PS4 completely.
- Press the power button for long or at a minimum of 10 seconds.
- When you hear a beep for the second time, release the button.
- Connect your PS4 controller with the help of a USB cable.
- Lastly, switch on your controller by pressing the PS button.
The safe mode will work only if your USB ports are properly functional. Therefore, check the ports properly before you can proceed with the above steps.
Tips for avoiding the PS4 controller yellow light issue
Here are a few tips that will avoid the issue altogether and you won’t have to apply any of the above steps.
- Handle your PS4 controller with great care so that the internal hardware can be protected from damage.
- Check the charging cable frequently and get a new one in case the one you have is damaged.
- Never connect the console to a corrupted device as that can damage its hardware and show the yellow light.
- Keep updating your controller with the latest version to avoid any issue regarding its functioning.
All of these steps are known to help the players stuck with the yellow/orange light PS4 issue. Depending on the base reason, different solutions work for different players. Once you have resolved the problem, make sure you follow the tips to avoid the problem from occuring in the future. Bookmark this page for future reference.