When it comes to an app that is really famous for its user experience being highly customisable, nothing can beat Discord. For those who are very well versed with the app, are also aware that they can change their username whenever they want to.
In fact, they can create a different username for each channel and still get what they want. In addition to that, Discord is one such app that allows different users to have same username. This is a feature not to be found in many other apps.
While the above feature is pretty interesting, it also makes it difficult for the user to find out another user. There is a solution for that, however. And that is called Discord Tag. To find out more about Discord Tag, keep reading the sections below.
What is Discord Tag?
To answer the question, A Discord Tag refers to a combination of a discriminator and a username. The former comprises of a 4-digit number that is generated randomly. A ‘#’ is used to separate the username form the discriminator. A Discord Tag is, therefore a combination and is written somewhat like this:
Since the app enables a lot of users to employ the same username, Discord Tags plays a very important role. The discriminator of the Discord Tag helps the user in identifying another user with the same username. The discriminator can be any four-digit number ranging between 0001 and 9999.
Again, it is interesting to note here that multiple users can have the same discriminator as well, just like the username. However, that is not so when it comes to the Discord Tag combination. When it comes to the username#discriminator combo, it impossible for any two users to have the same Discord tags.
When you are adding someone to your list of friends on Discord,
- You must have the Discord Tag combo in order to send them a request.
- Discord Tag is case sensitive. If you capitalise letters where you should not, and do not capitalise where you should, you will not be able to get the right person.
So, now we know what a Discord tag is and how it makes every user unique. The summary is, Discord tag combo is unique and is case sensitive. You have to get every bit right in order to reach the right person.
A Discord tag is different than Discord spoiler tag, as the spoiler tag on Discord is only used to mark different parts of the message as a spoiler to a movie climax or a game. If you receive a Discord spoiler tag message than it means the message contains some type of spoiler and you may want to proceed with caution.
How to find Discord Tag?
As discussed previously, Discord Tag is placed adjacent to the username. There is a hash that separates the two.
Check your Discord tags on Desktop –
- Login to your app and check your screen’s bottom left.
- This is right beside the text box.
- You will see your Discord Tag with its username on top and the discriminator below along with the hash.
Check Discord tag on mobile phone –
- Open the Discord app on your phone.
- Tap the menu button which is to your screen’s top left.t
- Tap the Discord logo that you will spot to your screen’s bottom right.
- The Discord Tag with the username#discriminator combo will show on top.
This way you can easily find your Discord tag on Desktop as well as on mobile phone.
The Discord app also enables you to customise the Discord Tag. This is possible only if you have a subscription of Discord Nitro Classic or the usual Discord Nitro. If you don’t have a subscription to either one, you need to be a Discord partner, although its availability is always an issue.
In case you don’t have any of the three, you will need a bot in order to change your Discord Tags. However, in this case, you cannot customise the Discord Tag yourself.
Instead, a random Discord Tag will be assigned to you. Users mostly employ Nitro or Nitro Classic for customising the Discord Tags.
What Is Discord Nitro and Discord Nitro Classic?
Discord Nitro and Discord Nitro Classic refers to premium subscription services that Discord offers to its user. For those who use Discord casually, these two subscriptions are of no use. They can enjoy Discord even without them.
But those who spend their time a lot on Discord, this subscription is a must. Those who spend a lot of time playing or working on Discord must have a subscription to enjoy all of its features.
We will go through the steps to change Discord tag with and without the Nitro subscription.
Please note, that when your nitro subscription ends your Discord tag will be reset and randomized.
How to change the Discord tag?
Changing the Discord Tags is an easy task, especially when you have your subscription of Nitro or Nitro Classic. The steps to the same are as follows:
- Log in to the app and then go to the User Settings option.
- Tap on the icon that is adjacent to your username.
- Under the option ‘My Account’ you will see the ‘Edit’ option. Tap on it
- Here you can edit the Discord Tag and change it any other 4-digit number.
- For verification, type in your Discord password at present.
- Press ‘Done’ and you have changed the Discord Tag successfully.
You can also change Discord Tag with a Nitro subscription using your mobile phone. The steps of changing the Discord Tag on mobile phone are as follows.
- Open the app and tap on its menu button to your left on top.
- Tap the Discord icon that is present at the bottom of the menu
- Then go to the ‘My Account’ option.
- From there, click on the Username option.
- Change the Discord Tag to a different number of 4 digits.
- Press the Save icon that looks like a floppy disk.
- For verification, type in your Discord password and then press save again.
- You have changed the Discord Tag successfully.
How to change Discord tag without a Nitro subscription?
It is possible that you do not have a subscription of Discord Nitro or Discord Nitro Classic. You are probably not a Discord partner as well. Yet, you can change your Discord Tag.
To change your Discord Tag under these circumstances you will need a bot. However, using a bot has a limitation and that is you will be assigned the altered Discord Tag. You cannot choose the Discord Tag yourself.
To use a bot, you must have a server that belongs to you or at least be its moderator. It is possible that once you change the Discord Tags, you might want to change it again. In that case, you must wait for at least hour. The steps to change the Discord Tag are as follows:
- Go the website https://dyno.gg/ and open the bot that reads Dyno Discord.
- Click on the option that says ‘Add to Server’.
- Choose the server to which you want the bot to be added.
- Tap on the Continue option to authorise your bot.
- Type the text ‘?discrim’ in the text box of a Discord server that you moderate or own.
- A catalogue of users will appear in front of you bearing the username of your account.
- Select the name of a different user with the same tag and copy it.
- Now open the User Settings option followed by My Account.
- Replace your original username, with the one that you have copied.
- Type in the Discord password for verification and then save it.
Once this is over, you will receive a random discriminator for your Discord Tag. This will ensure that your Discord Tag doesn’t match that of anyone else.
Discord Tag is not just some kind of identity but also a badge. You wear it whenever you want to log in to your Discord account. A unique Discord tag usually enhances your experience as a Discord user.
You may even end up liking your random Discord Tag. The Discord Tag has often turned this app into a second home for many users.